Friday, August 8, 2008

Watching the Olympics Online

Since I dumped my satellite provider and only get Fox OTA, I didn't think I was going to get to see much of the Olympics this summer. I shouldn't have worried. Thanks to NBC's Olympics live streaming site: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html I've been able to watch what I want, when I want.

There's an enhanced version available that uses a Silverlight application running in the browser. You can choose up to 4 live streams to watch in the 'Control Room'






or pick from any of the 'As Shown on TV' to catch the stuff you've missed. Everything I've watched so far has been in beautiful HD.

Stats from Mithun Dahr's site say the streaming coverage will include:
  • > 3500 hours of Content streamed Live.
  • LIVE coverage of every minute of competition from 25 sports.
  • More than 2.3 terabytes/second of traffic on the MSN Portal

If I can resist the urge to play Team Fortress 2 every time I fire up the Xbox 360, I'll check out the NBC Olympics on the Go on the Windows Media Center, just to see the HD goodness on my TV.

[via Veni, Vidi, Velcro]

No comments: