Friday, August 29, 2008

Warhammer Online Beta (and Amazon.com woes)




EA Mythic is offering some bonuses to people that pre-order Warhammer Online. Namely, you'll get access to the Beta beginning September 7th, you'll also get a three day head start on the live realms before general release. Also, depending on where you pre-order, you'll get a special in-game ring that gives a bonus in PvE enounters. There's also something called Rittenbach's Portable Camp, to "Rest your weary soul and heal your wounds between battles."

Since I figured I was going to try the game out anyway, I went for the pre-order. I read on some forums that Amazon would instantly put the head start and open beta codes in your digital locker as soon as you pre-ordered, and sure enough, that's exactly what happened, with one minor hitch.

Apparently, the open beta codes that Amazon is passing out are being recycled. I went to register my code so I could download the beta and it told me that the code I entered had already been used.

(read this next part in your best Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons voice) I immediatly logged onto the internets to express my dissatisfaction.

But, of course, several people already beat me to it.



It looks like this has been going on for a couple of days, based on forum posts and there seems to be no official response from Amazon yet, so I canceled my pre-order with them and pried my butt off the couch and actually left the house for a change.
GameStop had the pre-order bonus boxes stacked up right behind the counter so I put my $5 pre-order down and was in and out in under 5 minutes.

In the box:
  • a 'rave card' with my open beta code and my live game head start and in-game bonus item code.
  • Warhammer Online CCG Demo Deck.
Unlike the codes I got from Amazon, these worked for me when I entered them at EAMythic.com. I'm queued up to download the demo from FilePlanet and can't wait to try it all out on Sept. 7th.

No comments: