Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Penny Arcade's Tycho on the black arts required to get Borderlands PC multiplayer up and running

I chose the PC version, which I don't regret, because its comparatively stratospheric resomolutions do the game's art an incredible service. I did run aground on some port forwarding at first, which is apparently the cosmic tradeoff. After an hour or so of bullshit, which included a host of router perforations as well sequence of voodoo-like rituals culled from innumerable fora, I was finally able to enter a game with a friend. At this point, I'd played the game so much by myself that it was not a multiplayer game at all, so when he manifested in that inviolate space I almost didn't know how to react. I imagine it was something like the first two humans to ever look upon one another; there was suspicion, fear, and ultimately rage.  I had to come to terms with the idea that I was not the only protagonist, which is - and let's be honest - suboptimal

port forwarding = 'router perforations'
I love it. That man certainly has a way with words.

I ended up following the readme and forwarding:
7777 TCP/UDP
28900 TCP
27900 UDP
28910 TCP

when that still didn't work, someone on the forums mentioned that Gamespy required 6500 UDP also to be forwarded. Once I rebooted the router (Apple Time Capsule) I was able to host/invite, etc.

Hoping an update brings UPnP so more people can/will host.

Posted via web from ronbo's posterous

No comments: